LF: Marconi Rx

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Marconi Rx
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:42:09 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I occasionally refurbish old communication equipment for Amberley museum. On
my last visit, to return a spruced up AR88, I found Dave, the curator of the
Radio and Telephone section, fishing out an old TR1133 for someone who was
refurbishing a Hurricane fighter plane. Amongst some of the stuff that came
to light, covered in dust, was a Marconi Marine 'Apollo' receiver.
As it seemed to cover the LF bands I asked if this might be the subject of a
refurbishment!
This receiver is HEAVY but once the steel case was removed the weight was
reduced by 25%.
It seems to be an example of early solid state design with a separate LF
front end and has a digital nixie tube display.
Unfortunately, it seems to have been owned at one time by Roger the bodger
and there are screening panels missing. The receiver does work but the sound
is very distorted.
Anyone met one of these receivers?

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO