RE: LF: : EuropeAlaska G3AQC/KL1X

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: : EuropeAlaska G3AQC/KL1X
From: "Laurence J Howell" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:11:35 -0900
Sender: <[email protected]>

Ed - Rx  set up here the most excellent Argo (thanks!) TS870, background
noise at 137Khz is "S3" (where S3 is yet to be found -dBm figure but
probably not a high figure!)
100m LDF450a, two inverted L 27 meter high verticals strapped together
where they attach to the loading coil - with around 80m horizontal tops on
one and 50m on other - verticals sections only a meter or two separated.
One horizontal top NE/SW other E/W, Solenoid loading coil at bottom on the
tower around 0.9mH (I think given the calcs) and extensive earth system
designed for 160m/80m, 120 radials mostly 40m long, a few at a hundred
meters towards Eu, 8  x 6ft earth rods for lightning protection and
connections to a 150ft well casing. (I must measure how deep this casing
is). Poor ground conductivity but Beverages no go because of the bears and
mooses. Location in a forest with trees close in to 90 ft - not good for
160/80m low angle rx/tx - Ive now heard more from Europe on 136Khz than
1.8Mhz! AQC's signal was the first one Ive seen.

I run the rx without any dsp on USB with bandwidth set at 1.6Khz with 300Hz
low cutoff. Full 870 "DSP"selection  brings in close in noise to the
display so its off - NB is on to counter loran (and very effective too on
the 870), Full RF gain but I turn back the agc to nearly off otherwise the
peaks of noise gives S7 and I lose the weaker signals - this wouldnt be
effective or work on voice or very strong signals Im sure. Im lucky in
hearing very very weakly  DCF39 thru the day when changing the radios
settings proves how to get the best s/n. - Argo is an excellent tool for
this.

Laurence KL1X Anchorage, still with no new snow.
RX 137.7735