LF: THE EH ANTENNA

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: THE EH ANTENNA
From: Niels Rudberg Jørgensen <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:46:28 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello lf-group!

We recently saw an interesting description of IZ7ATH´s 160-meter EH antenna and with this description came of course the question of whether this antenna could be thing for 136 kHz.

There have been  few comments on the reflector on this issue, --comments which I as such
largely agree with.

It seems to me, however, that the recent discussion and earlier discussions on that antenna
too, does not bring any answer to the question what this antenna actually is.
ON7YD, RIK mentions  the antenna as possibly being "the funny looking top-hat of a vertical".

Now let us see, what it really is:
The antenna part of it, the two metalic cylinders, constitute a short (very short) dipole!
The two coils and the two capacitors form a BOUCHEROT BRIDGE. (This bridge was, by
the way, invented back in the early 1930´ies). A boucherot bridge performs two functions:
First, it is a unbalanced-to-balanced device (balun) and secondly, it provides an impedance trans-
formation, in this case low (50 Ohms) - to - high impedance.
Ideally, there would be no feeder radiation and further, the antenna, being a dipole, should
not care too much about the earth beneath the antenna! -- In the real life things are, however,
a bit more complicated.

If we look at the IZ7ATH 160-meter antenna, the characteristic impedance of the boucherot
bridge is 600-700 Ohm, giving a transformation from 50 Ohms to some 7 kiloOhm (the two
coils ought to be identical and btw., not coupling to each other). There is no doubt in my mind, that the IZ7ATH antenna works quite well. It is probably a bit narrow frequencywise.

Now to the question of using this antenna on 136 kHz: Asuming somebody having a large
garden and  very tolerant neighbours would try out this antenna, what would he experience?
If I may guess, it might not be bad at all.  The antenna being a dipole, ground losses would
be considerably lower  than with a ground-reference vertical. There are two coils, who in
addition to providing impedance transformation also must tune out the antenna capacitance.
I dare not at the present try to estimate how  the losses of the two "airborne" coils
would be compared to the losses of the variometer of a ground-referenced vertical.

Who is going to try out such an antenna? By the way, anticipating possible neighbour
reactions, it might be an idea to start building a cage-like structure instead of  sheet
metal cylinders!
73, Niels, OZ8NJ+