RE: LF: Antenna tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Antenna tests
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:01:07 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Hugh and Gary,

If you have a 136kHz TX it's rather easy : measure the antenna current and the TX output voltage, R = U/I. The calculated R is the total loss resistance + radiation resistance, but the last is far less than 1 Ohm so you can ignore it. If you want to know the ground loss (or better said environmental losses) you have to subtract the loss in the loading coil.
An more direct resistance measurement can be done using a Wheatstone bridge or something similar
 ("antenna analyzer"), have a look here for some construction ideas :
http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-41522/bridge/bridge.html
http://www.lwca.org/library/articles/k0lr/lfanalyz/lfanalyz.htm
http://www.lwca.org/library/articles/k0lr/lfanalyz/mfj259.htm
http://www.geocities.com/df8zr/zx.html