Re: LF: EARTH RESISTANCE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EARTH RESISTANCE
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:32:01 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 12/16/02 1:30:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< Dick has indicated that Earth Resistance gets higher when the ground is wet. That seems strange and contrary to accepted theory. The ideal ground plane for a vertical is on a wet plain or preferably positioned in the middle of a lake or in the middle of the Ocean. Have I missed something and read his observation incorrectly. >>

I think both points of view are correct, but under differing prevailing conditions.

The type of soil may make a great difference in whether moisture enhances or degrades radiated signal. Where I live now, the soil seems to experience increased dielectric loss when wet; whereas, in other locations, I found the opposite to be true. Because of the greater skin depth of the earth as the wavelength increases, I would expect the effect to be more pronounced at LF than MF or HF. Dick's data may be partial supporting evidence that this is so; in which case, it's even possible that some soils will be better at MF when wet, and better at LF when dry. Sounds like a fertile field for investigation (no pun intended).

As for bodies of water, a freshwater lake turns out not to be as good a location for a ground plane as I once thought. I have tried this approach at LF and MF at a few very different locations, always with less signal than expected.

Seawater is quite a different matter! At MF, especially, it does truly wonderful things for signals. Along with our fleet of VHF FM public broadcast stations, I oversee one small mediumwave station on the Georgia coast which is less than listenable more than about 20 miles inland. However, it has a coastal coverage range from St Augustine, Florida, to Hilton Head, South Carolina. (In fact, do we have any readers in Bermuda? If so, I invite you to give a listen on 1190kHz.)

John