LF: Re: Audio problem

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Audio problem
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:10:41 +1300
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dick PA0SE,

It was not until recently that I found out about the extent of "mixer control" placement(s) in a sound card.  There are analogue and digital mixers.  The MIC-IN, LINE-IN and CD-IN have inputs split to feed an A/D converter as well as an anlogue mixer going to the master volume control and LINE-OUT (also an internal power amplifier and speaker out on some sound cards, newer types have speaker matters external to the PC).

The A/D converted data has a source selector switch (A/D or WAVE data) before reaching the PC bus.  On newer sound cards the bus has an AC97 compliant interface.  The DSP "number crunching" is done by the PC CPU and processed data then comes back to the sound card (delayed a little), where a digital mixer selects the source, it then goes through a stereo D/A converter, and further to the same analogue mixer that handles the MIC-IN, LINE-IN and CD-IN (the analogue input signals can bypass the digital processing).

Sound card drivers do not seem to provide user access to all mixers and switches on a card.  Different application software may include user input to selections of analogue and digital mixers, or pre-programme selections.  There is at least one FFT filter programme I have used that does apply the digitally filtered sound to the analogue output.  On the other hand, there are other programmes that do just as you describe, with only analogue going to audio out, presumably because the digital output is intended to go to the screen.

Some sound cards also have access to tone controls but I have yet to experience one.  I'm not sure whether tone control is on the input or output side, as I have seen some "spectrum displays" that seem to have minor frequency tilt, which it would be nice to correct to "flat" with tone controls.

I trust my text explanations are useful.  I do not have a block diagram at hand of a sound card, but if another reader does, and can scan it, then I'm sure it would be a good way to add to the information.

73, Bob ZL2CA