Re: LF: 136 beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136 beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:44:51 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Steve, LF Group,

At 09:42 06/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:
Yesterday evening and this morning I'm getting a keyed beacon at about
136kHz, just below the level wher my ears or the computer can decode it. Can
someone tell me what it is, or is it a phantom?

Thanks,

Steve

As Mike says, this is something many of us can hear - looked at on a high resolution spectrogram it consists of a number of weak carriers on almost exactly 136.0kHz - these beat together to produce the "CW beacon" effect. My favorite explanation is that these are harmonics of telecomms clock signals on 8kHz, being radiated by phone wires, etc - there are different signal components present in different locations. So this could well be a form of fairly local QRM rather than a receiver problem or an intermod. I also hear something similar on 72kHz when Rugby is QRT.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU