LF: TEX/CAL

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: TEX/CAL
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:33:07 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Texas has been mentioned recently, its a big state and big ranches and some big radio amateur signals but not a patch on the California Kilowatt amateurs. Over the years they have been emitting probably the biggest signals from the USA.
I was a guest of W6AM and his friends some years ago and his station and his friends stations rivalled some commercial installations, and even better. The only other place where I have seen similar installations are in GI (Northern Ireland) some large antenna masts are visible on the sky line especially West of the Bann. (river bann) again the radio shacks are equipped more like commercial stations and possibly better.
I dont know anyone that is active on HF over there with a tower less than 60 ft high and most are at least double that height. I get over there frequently and know most of them but they are not interested in 73 or 136 khz so in the meantime its only GI3KEV/P. One other that was active has gone QRT, likewise the only station in Scotland and a couple in Wales have also gone QRT, that leaves only a few English stations still on air in the UK.
Hardly encouraging news on the LF scene, the same seems to apply to EU. The only acty I hear these days is from PA, DL and occassionally the odd ON, F and SM pops up.
Considering that I worked 23 countries a couple of years ago LF is certainly in decline, and no new countries seem to be emerging, apart from the odd weekend Russian station.
Room for thought
de Mal/G3KEV