Re: LF: ICOM 706 Mk2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ICOM 706 Mk2
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:49:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 20:25 20/10/02 +1300, ZL4MD wrote:

 I use my IC706 as signal source for the 180 KHz transmitter, dividing by
100 from the 18 Mhz band - and it works like a charm {our ZL band is
165-190 kHz}.

At some stage I believe that our allocation will be extended to include the
136/137 region and would like to use this same divide by 100 scheme,
starting in the 13.6 Mhz region. My problem is that the 706 will not
transmit below 13.9 MHz.  I have been told that a simple "mod" will cure
things. Can anyone tell me what to do? One story told of cutting a yellow
wire somewhere but the details were a bit vague and may have been for a
totally different reason.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kevin
ZL4MD

Kevin,

I wouldn't advise using the 706 for this purpose even if you get it down to 136. Its local oscillator is rather "wobbly" due to the action of its internal fan and you won't find it stable enough for narrow-band QRSS etc. I have one and I installed the "hi-stab" option which made it even worse by introducing a second TCXO-induced wobble. Total wobble is only at 136 is only a few Hz and doesn't normally matter but it does when you're looking for 0.01 Hz! ICOM told me the 706 was never designed for ultra-stable narrow-band work,
only for HF mobile.

I use an old ICOM 720 with purple diode wire cut which enables Tx on all frequencies and divide
down from 13.6 MHz. After an hour or so for warm-up it's perfectly acceptable.

Walter G3JKV.
---