Re: LF: ICOM 706 Mk2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ICOM 706 Mk2
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 04:47:59 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Walter, Kevin and group;

I use an (old) IC706 for longwave and am quite happy with it.

>> Total wobble is only at 136 is only a few Hz and doesn't normally matter but it does when you're looking for 0.01 Hz!<<
There must be something wrong, if the wobble is in the HERTZ region on 136kHz... imagine what would happen if the same "relative" wobble happened on 144MHz with a narrow CW filter !
I can not confirm that the oscillator is wobbly at all (at least not in the 10-milliHerz-region). I don't know what the oscillator in the MK2 looks like, but in the old 706 it has an extra metal shield, and sits between other solid "metal cubes" on the lower side of the PCB (far away from the PA).

For very high accuracy, the oscillator can even be tied to an external reference (like OCXO), because the master osc frequency is 30MHz, which can easily be "PLL'ed" to a 5- or 10-MHz clock.

About the "yellow wire" mod: DONT do it, it was only used to increase the RX sensitivity outside the 144 MHz band of the old IC706.
There is a web site which has all kind useful and unuseful mods for most transceivers; just googling for it (I don't have it at hand).

Regards,

Wolf DL4YHF.