LF: Re: Re: Limiter in Jason reception

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Limiter in Jason reception
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:26:28 -0700
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Jim and all,

BTW, when watching the decoder in action, "G4JNT" first decoded correctly,
then the decoder retrospectively blanked out the "G" - On the whole, I
think it would be useful if the decoder prints some character even if it
"knows" the character is wrong - perhaps a non- alphanumeric character like
a question mark or just a blank. That way, the operator would know how many
characters had been missed - although it would mean more garbage on the
screen.

The decoder does print a lower case 'x' for invalid characters.  Your case is
a different bug -- the decoder mistakenly thought that the symbol phase had
changed, and there was no place for a character with the new phase.

Unfortunately, one can't simply ignore such shifts; we need to accommodate
restarts at the Tx end, retuning of the Rx, Tx started after Rx, etc.
So the decoder needs to compare, using a suitable metric, the quality of the
various choices, and output the most robust.  This will still sometimes be
wrong, but it should be a significant improvement.  I'll try to address this
in the next version.

73,

Stewart