LF: Re: Limiter in Jason reception

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Limiter in Jason reception
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:13:38 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Alberto, LF Group,

Thanks for producing the new version of Jason. Last week I recorded some .wav files of G4JNT's beacon signal, with and without clipping (although there will always be some clipping on the biggest noise peaks). I ran an "unclipped" file through Jason 0.95, using the KK7KA decoder, with and without the "Hendrixizer" engaged - the attachment shows only a couple of characters missing with the "Hendrixizer" on, but only garbage when it was switched off - so it does indeed seem to make a useful improvement.

I got slightly better results when clipping took place in the IF amplifier - copy was virtually perfect then - so it could be worth experimenting with user adjustable thresholds or dynamic clipping as has been discussed. I still have the .wav file if anybody wants it (about 13Mb of it!).

BTW, when watching the decoder in action, "G4JNT" first decoded correctly, then the decoder retrospectively blanked out the "G" - On the whole, I think it would be useful if the decoder prints some character even if it "knows" the character is wrong - perhaps a non- alphanumeric character like a question mark or just a blank. That way, the operator would know how many characters had been missed - although it would mean more garbage on the screen.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

JPEG image