RE: LF: Amtor FEC on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Amtor FEC on LF
From: "Roger Thompson" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:46:00 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Andy and all,

I've been researching how a peak clipper might be implemented in an analog
LF receiver chain before the narrowband filters, similar to your suggestion
about taking noise pulses out using DSP.  Such a limiting technique is
mentioned in the book "Communications Receivers," 2nd edition, by Rohde,
Whitaker and Bucher, but there is little about a practical design.  My
feeling is that a limiter could work much like transmit RF clippers, where
post-clipping selectivity reduces the distortion products that might rise
from diode clippers and the like.  I'm a little unsure about the remaining
amplitude-clipped impulses, though, as the rise time of these still may
overexcite later selective stages.  Has anyone information about how such a
clipper or limiter could be built that would improve the signal to noise of,
say, QRSS signals?

Roger
AD5T