Re: LF: Re: New QTH anyone?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: New QTH anyone?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:44:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 23:12 17/04/2002 +1000, you wrote:
Also, I assume it only transmits for 5 minutes every six hours, is that
correct ?

Thanks ............... Zim

Dear Zim, LF group,

Nomally it transmits continuously 24 hours a day. The signal is MSK and has a bandwidth of about 100Hz, actually centered on 15.98kHz. According to the MSF web pages, MSF on 60kHz has been shut down intermittently recently for running repairs - I think the MSF antenna is slung from some of the GBR antenna masts, so the same cause might be responsible for GBR being shut down lately. I don't know if GBR is on today - I'll have to check later.

The "other" VLF site apart from Rugby is at Criggion in Wales - if you are passing by, it is worth going to see. The road passes between the 6 masts and underneath the VLF antenna, one side of which is anchored to a nearby cliff. According to the sign on the gate, this is also operated by BT. Perhaps VLF operations will shift there - I expect the land is worth less.

The 3rd VLF site in the UK I know of is at Anthorn on the banks of the Solway Firth, as Dave mentioned - but this is usually referred to as being a NATO station; I don't know what the difference is. If you look on an Ordanance Survey map of the area, you can see the distinctive star-shaped pattern of masts.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU