Re: LF: LF activity today.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF activity today.
From: "Giulio Scaroni" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:37:10 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi,
Claudio wrote:

I had a nice QSO in QRSS with IK4JSJ, about 250 km. It was transmitting
with
only 3 watt power, very QRP for LF. No signals from north, I think thah my
QTH
is too near the Alps, may be that long waves don't like walk over high
mountains.

Yes may be, is exactly the impressione that i have here Claudio, sometimes
Cesare I5TGC receive DL station better than me also if he is 250 KM far from
DL land than my location.
Also some qso  i have had from my home station in JN55CM with DL were made
with many deep fading.
Another question is that Cesare receive DCF39 with a qsb of more than 30 dB,
here i have not noticed qsb more that 10 dB, may be that ground wave dont
walk well in the Alps??
Or we receive better with the signal reflected from ionosphere, so not at
low angle?
Here now i can monitor three different receiver at the same time, one is
here at my home (EDK300 RFT) , just under first Alps mountain, JN55CM, one
is the in JN55IO, at about 650 meters on sea level on Alps, were he have
made a 137 khz to 2 meters VHF relay that feed all the central/west Padana
(Milano, Cremona, Bergamo, Brescia,.....), and the other is at JN55JE, were
i have my station totally remoted from home, that is in the midlle of the
Padana valley.
Well with I station all the three location are the same, but for the DX
station there is big difference, for example with NM and WD in Hell,
yesterday not a wisp from my home qth, not from Mantova, but only from the
station in JN55IO was possible to receive signal, with M0BMU last week was
the opposite, much better with the signal received in my remote station,
also the same with RA6 spedition........
Very interesting, but the RX antenna are not the same in all the location,
so may be that vertical antenna with low angle like i have in Mantova, work
well under some condition, the other under different condition.
The same happens in 160, for example with qso with NA station, early in
evening here, or in night the better is receive with very low angle antenna
, like with a 1 or 2 wavelenght beverage, while at my sunrise the beverage
dont work and many loud signal are present on high angle antenna, like for
example a low dipole full size put at 2 meters high from ground ( hi hi
pratically in earth for 160!).
In many years of dxing in 160, i have had a high angle opening in night with
USA/CANADA may be not more than 5 times!!!! the same is reported by W8JI Tom
an active topbanders.
May be that also in LF the signal  comes from different  angles??
I dont know, here in LF i am a newcomers, but all this is interesting to
monitor.

73 to all and see you in 136!!

Giulio IK2DED.