LF: Band Plan

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Band Plan
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:28:41 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Some reasons for the current band-plan:

The "Transatlantic" windows at the top and bottom of the band are there for good reasons- the bottom of the band is better for the North American receiving stations because there is greater frequency separation from CFH when it is operating. It makes sense for the European stations to try and receive signals at the other end of the band because that way they can avoid their receivers being overloaded by their neighbors trying to transmit to the DX stations.

The CW part of the band seems to have been designated so because that's where the CW activity was - trying to change it now would be awkward for those who are stuck on one frequency, such as those using Ropex TXs, who would then all have to pull their rigs apart and buy new crystals.

I am opposed to the idea of a rigid band plan for a couple of reasons. First, the use of the band is affected by the operating frequencies and schedules of government and commercial stations, and other forms of QRM - if they decide to change, they are hardly likely to inform us, let alone consult us, so we must be flexible enough to change with them. This happened when SXV changed frequency last winter, and uproar resulted when the transatlantic beacon signals had to shift from 135.7 to 135.9. A similar problem occurs if your station is affected by local QRM, which makes operation in parts of the band impossible for you. Second, many of the modes in use are of an experimental nature with there own peculiar requirements - I think it would be impossible to devise one band plan that accomodated every possible mode in such a way as to prevent mutual interference between incompatible modes. With the current band plan for example, where would SMT-Hell, or 7FSK, or the low-speed SSB transmissions that have been tried fit in? These modes are not data or CW.

Listening on the air, it is obvious that the band-plan infringements that have occurred generate much more noise on the LF reflector than they do on the band - At any time, it is rare to find the band close to being full up, and I think most people would welcome more signals of any type. A band plan makes operation easier in some ways because you can find the type of signal you want where you are expecting it - imagine trying to search the whole band for a 60s QRSS signal. In amateur radio, nobody exclusively owns a particular frequency, and it would be antisocial to "occupy" a frequency like the commercial stations do, transmitting idle signals for days and weeks on end, whether it complies with the band plan or not. But if someone wants to use part of the band for an unusual purpose for a while, and it isn't causing huge problems to everyone else, why shouldn't they? I think it just requires a bit of give and take on everybody's part.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU