RE: LF: G0MRF/SM6LKM DDS VFO and Jason

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: G0MRF/SM6LKM DDS VFO and Jason
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:17:35 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
OK. It looks like we already have a standard. Andy, can you describe your
protocol?
I'll send it out under separate cover.

If we all clock our DDS chips with 5 or 10MHz from frequency standards, we
will have common "channels" although the numbers will not be nice (a lot of

This is too prescriptive.  For instance, I am looking at a simple GPS
locking scheme that will allow any frequency that is a multiple of 1Hz to be
locked giving very good long term stability, but poor short term over a few
seconds - suitable for long duration signalling purposes.  Using a
4.194304MHz is perfect for DDS synths as 'nice' frequencies occur
automatically.  The step is 1/1024Hz so 1Hz steps and its subdivisions are
exact

It is probably a good idea to make soft phase
transitions considering the huge reactive power that is circulating in the
antenna circuits at the QRO stations. Swiching phase 180 degrees
instantaneously in such a setup would be like throwing in the reverse gear
when driving forward at 100 MPH...

A Tx with a guard circuit such as the Decca one can survive such abuse - the
only real problems is an ethical one of switching sidebands - but a spike of
a few 100s of microseconds, a function of the antenna bandwidth, every few
10s of seconds isn't going to annoy too many people.

BTW, What's MPH in Sweden - or any other country outside the US/UK for that
matter ;-)

Andy  G4JNT

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.