Re: LF: Big signal

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Big signal
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:51:32 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Mal, LF Group,

At 14:20 22/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:
Ref your recent power measurements on the MM0ALM signal and observations.
I have measured you power and observed two readings. One set of figures during
daytime and weekend normal CW acty and another at night when you are on beacon
for TA tests on QRS and Measles mode.
You obviously keep the power down during normal CW but at night you are very
strong. I will not
declare here what the figures are but what measurements would you expect me to
get at this distance

During the day, I use my 8m high, 40m long inverted L. At night, while the neighbors can't complain about aerials spoiling the view, I put up a 13m high mast under the middle of the top wire, raising it up into an inverted L configuration. This increases the radiated signal level by about 4dB over the daytime level. I'm sure most readers of this reflector heard quite enough about the 300+ field strength measurements I made on this antenna a few months ago to establish ERPs, losses, etc., but suffice it to say that on 136k, running my maximum 1200W, my "daytime" ERP is 400mW, and "night time" ERP is 1W. On wet days, these levels fall by a dB or two due to increased losses.

So what's your ERP?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU