LF: ZL6QH Tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: ZL6QH Tests
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:06:53 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Group,

also no copy from ZLhere yet.. but a technical question:
Is the transmission from ZL6QH "coherent" over a long period of time, or in other words: Does the phase of the dash & dot frequency return to the original value (like switching between two highly stable oscillators) ?

If so, does it make sense to use an *extra large* frequency resolution to get a few more dB's FFT gain (of course losing the keying information), or will the long path between ZL and EU produce a 'smearing' effect making an FFT bandwith of less than 10mHz useless ?

Re Jim's post :

I also use two different antennas for RX, the 200m LOW wire and a small loop, and -at first- found no significant difference.
Later, listening to OK1DTN, I played a bit with the manually rotatable loop and found the minimum bearing was about 45 degrees off where it should be. The long wire was not connected to the RX, but only to the tuner (still resonant on 136kHz).
When I disconnected the long wire from the tuner, the noise from the loop fell significantly, and the bearing for OK1DTN was correct. The loop was about 15 meters away from the wire, looks as if that wasn't enough !

Good luck to all,

73 Wolf  DL4YHF (now back to DF0WD)