LF: "Weak CW" on 136.000

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: "Weak CW" on 136.000
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:27:32 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group, I too can hear this - it has always been there since I started on LF, and does sound like very weak CW, but is never readable. I can hear it at any time the noise level is fairly low, and it is normally always visible on spectrogram displays.

I had a look at it last night using Spectrum Lab and Argo at their higher resolutions, and it is not actually CW at all - it consists of a dozen or so carriers irregularly distributed between about 135.998 and 136.001kHz. Some of these are rock steady, others were drifting up or down by a fraction of a hertz over the two hours I observed them. The different frequencies beating together gives the "CW" effect

The spread in frequencies and the amount of drift would be consistent with an assortment of crystal oscillators on the same nominal frequency - perhaps it is a harmonic of some popular baud rate or similar?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU