Re: LF: Re 73kHz Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re 73kHz Beacon
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:42:29
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have been so busy the last 48 hours I hadn't even time to check e-mail,
so with some delay my congrtas to Laurie & John for their fine achievement.

One refinement would be for the program (QRS) to leave out the gap when
there is a freq. transition, this would speed things up a bit . I will have
to talk to Rik ON7YD who wrote it.

I'll have a look at that. But in fact these gaps are just there to make
things a bit convenient (and to give the TX a break), in principle one
could do without it is the dotlength in known by the RX.
Since 'time is money' - even in QRSS mode - things go fastest if you just
leave out the gaps. An alternative would be to have small frequency jump
(much smaller than the dot-dash jump) for 2 succesive dots/dashes.

Eg : Assume 120 sec/dot and a 1Hz dot/dash shift. If Argo is set at 90 or
120 sec. one can easily see a 0.1Hz jump, so if 2 succesive dots or dashes
occur we would have a 0.1Hz jump. No chance to confuse it with the 1Hz
dot/dash jump.
But this assumes a rather flexible VFO (PLL), so the question is if the
efford is worth the advantage ?

What say ?

73, Rik  ON7YD