LF: Re 73kHz Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re 73kHz Beacon
From: "Laurie Mayhead" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:20:17 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dex asks  "is there any blank time between dashes and dots "
the answer is yes, the actual element (dash or dot ) is 120 sec long and the
gap or blank time is 40 secs. The FFT program tends to blur this so that it
looks like a fade down then up. I could make it longer but the trade off is
between readability and transmission time. I think its just about right at a
third ie 40 secs.Actually it doesnt matter when there is a freq transition
ie between a dash and a dot ,the shift in position is enough to separate the
elements, its the gap between two dots or two dashes that is the problem.
One refinement would be for the program (QRS) to leave out the gap when
there is a freq. transition, this would speed things up a bit . I will have
to talk to Rik ON7YD who wrote it.  Thanks for listening.  73s Laurie.