LF: Long Wave Broadcasting

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Long Wave Broadcasting
From: "Dr. Tom Gruis" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:50:29 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi from Iowa, USA, EN31do

        This my seem a silly question, but I am curious.

        How is the audio quality of European LW BC stations? The bandwidth
percentage is really something on those frequencies.

        Do they have special audio processing techniques? Are they rather
"narrow" for broadcasting?

        A favor: could anyone perhaps post a sound file so I could actually
hear one?

        I know of an Iowa radio station on the lower part of our AM band (540
to now 1700 KHz.) that used to boost the audio highs as much as possible
and still meet FCC proof of performance requirements, to, in their
opinion, to improve their sound quality.

What type of antennae do the LW stations use?
        Just curious and very interested!

Doc.