LF: Re: Long Wave Broadcasting

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Long Wave Broadcasting
From: "Julian Hardstone" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:53:07 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Sorry to join this thread rather late - yes, they sound fine, the bandwidth
limitation almost invariably being imposed by the receiver, especially
single-tuned
ferrite rods, a limitation which need not apply to the transceivers with
wideband front-ends most amateurs are using now. The percentage b/w does
seem impressive, but
radio engineers in other disciplines would probably feel underwhelmed - how
about VHF broadcast radio or UHF TV, where several Tx channels are combined
into one antenna (especially in Wales!)?

The important point I want to make is that to think about antenna bandwidth
is rather misleading - that bit of wire for LF has as much b/w as you like,
but it
is the antenna *system*, dominated by the matching network, which has
limited
b/w. Mike has mentioned the BBC Droitwich Tee antenna, and I recall that
this is
matched not by a sharply resonant tuning coil, but by cascaded and tapered
L-C matching networks (perhaps 3-sections). I suppose this starts to look
like a bit of transmission line with tapered impedance, and is easily
modelled to show the increased bandwidth.

Regards - Julian G3TFR