Re: LF: Long Wave Broadcasting

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Long Wave Broadcasting
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:43:56 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Doc,

That's quite a collection of questions...and an even bigger list of reflectors it's posted to...but I'll try to answer what I can here.

Longwave broadcasters do have to limit the maximum modulating audio frequency. Generally, it's 4.5kHz to accomodate the 9kHz channel spacing. Even so, it's no small feat to get a total 9kHz bandwidth through practical antenna systems at longwave frequencies.

The result is rather dulled audio, even when heavy compression and multiband signal processing are used. There is an audio file in the LWCA library of Alvin and the Chipmunks singing "Let It Snow" in Icelandic, sent to us by Jacques d'Avignon. Since we are temporarily without a page with links to the sound library at this time, I'll e-mail you the file separately to give you an idea of the sound quality.

(Now, there is a misimpression among some non-broadcaster technical types in this country that we limit AM broadcasters to 5kHz audio because of the 10kHz channel spacing here. Not so! There was no explicit regulatory limit at one time. The FCC allocation rules were originally based on the idea that 15kHz and even 20kHz audio components might get through the system. That's why our American allocation rules have so many different values of permitted overlap between signal strength contours, depending on the number of channels between the two frequencies of interest. But that was also back when aggressive audio processing was not the norm, and high audio frequencies were not artificially emphasized. These days, the FCC prescribes a very rigid emissions mask, limiting nearly all modulation energy to less than 10kHz, for an occupied bandwidth of 20kHz.)

The wide-open American model doesn't apply to the LF broadcasters, though, because there are so many of them on such a relatively small number of channels. There, emission limits are a necessity right up front.

Also, directional antenna systems are more common among longwave broadcasters than they were among European mediumwave AM broadcasters, also because of the crowded conditions on the limited number of channels. (A high-power international longwave station is such a big capital investment anyway, that a more elaborate antenna array wasn't really that much extra cost for many broadcasters.) You may have seen the Donnebach two-tower array in The LOWDOWN recently, for instance. And you may have noticed on this reflector, back in mid-August, a quoted excerpt from the Europe 1 web site describing their 4-tower directional array.

All major longwave broadcasters, directional or not, use very substantial vertical masts, mostly on the order of 200 - 350 metres in height, along with buried radial systems and ground mattes. Except for their sometimes larger size, these radiating systems look very much like their counterparts at any high-power US or Canadian mediumwave broadcast station.

73,
John