Re: LF: "Kugelblitz"

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: "Kugelblitz"
From: "Hans-Joachim Brandt" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:07:29 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear all,

in my big-volume Langenscheid's dictionary Kugelblitz is translated as "ball lightning", as John Rabson G3PAI has already proposed.

73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB

Dick Rollema schrieb:
To All from PA0SE

Uwe, DJ8WX wrote:
.

> ah, whats "kugelblitz" on english? flash of lightning biting its tail?

Well, I don't know what it is in English (couild not find it in a
dictionary) but what your wife saw could have been what in Dutch is called a
"bolbliksem".  It is a rather rare phenomenom and is described as a ball of
fire, perhaps some 30cm in diameter, that slowly moves along overhead lines
or other objects and after several seconds explodes. It can cause extensive
damage in its surrounding, sometimes over a larger area than a "normal"
stroke of lightning would do.

73, Dick, PA0SE