LF: Re: <Tech>Re: A Question

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: <Tech>Re: A Question
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:44:27 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Adding an amplitude measurement capability to Argo/Spectran
sounds like an excellent idea - it would enable a meaningful
measurement of relative signal strengths to be made.

DL4YHF's Spectrum Lab has such a facility -

Spectrogram also had this facility with a calibrated scale. I use it
sometimes for measuring the relative levels of signals.

Alberto, Wolf and others have done a great job in providing us with FFT S/W
and I would just like to make a comment.

One of the main virtues of Argo (as well as its effectiveness) is its
simplicity. This is of utmost importance in an operational situation.
Ensuring that the receiver is set up correctly, that the transmitter
operating correctly, while at the same time (under certain conditions)
operating an HF link can take a lot of effort. To have software that is so
easy to use is a big help in these situations.
However, there is always improvements that can be made. Might I suggest that
Alberto does development work, such as amplitude measurement, on Spectran,
which already has this uncalibrated facility. Having said that I find that
the improvements so far made to Argo have not compromised simplicity.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>

Web <http://web.ukonline.co.uk/g3ldo>