Re: LF: G3AQC complete call Q5 in USA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3AQC complete call Q5 in USA
From: "Andre' Kesteloot" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:13:13 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Rik Strobbe wrote:

Congrats to Laurie & Dexter.
It seems that 60 sec./dot opens a complete new world of posibilities.
Two things to do now :
- try to get some (more) transmitting activity at the western side of the
pond ('wake' the AMRAD licences ?)

[...]

73, Rik  ON7YD

The problem is not with the AMRAD licenses, unfortunately.  The FCC issued us
(AMRAD) a "Part 5 license", i.e., an experimental license that only allows us
to talk to one another, not as amateur operators, but as experimenters. (We
all have the same call-sign WA2XTF).  Hence we cannot communicate with other
hams.

Meanwhile, we have also petitioned the FCC for an allocation similar to the
CEPT one which you enjoy in Europe (135-137 kHz).  This has been languishing
somewhere, but we are having regular contacts with the FCC and are hopeful
that we will, one day, obtain that sliver.
One of the problems we have encountered is that the FCC was also petitioned
to allocate the whole 160-190 kHz band to the amateurs, something that is
being opposed by some electric power companies,as those use that band to
transmit signals over their own lines, for control and monitoring purposes.

73
Andre' N4ICK