LF: ARRL News Story

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: ARRL News Story
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:53:04 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
It has been pointed out, quite correctly, that the ARRL story about LF operating has errors in it.

In defense of my fellow journalists, I will say that given limited resources it is inevitable that some errors will creep into any article. I wrote a similar story for this week's GB2RS News Bulletin (see http://www.rsgb.org/news from about 1600UTC Friday) and it took me an hour to research and collate information from 20 e-mails, and cut 1000 words of source material into 150 words aimed at the non- LF radio amateur. Even though I know the subject well, I bet there will be some errors where I have misunderstood something (for instance, dates are a nightmare when the dateline crosses the transmission path).

What I have learnt from seeing some really awful amateur radio stories in national and local newspapers is that, so long as there is nothing damaging in the story the saying "all publicity is good publicity" is true.

The article is certain to get several more US amateurs interested in receiving on LF, so from our point of view it will have done its job successfully.
(professional signature line follows for a change)

Mike Dennison, G3XDV
Publications Manager

* RadCom * GB2RS News *
* RSGB Books and CDs *
* RSGB Online Web Site *

Radio Society of Great Britain
Lambda House, Cranborne Road
Potters Bar, Herts UK, EN6 3JE
Tel: +44 (0) 1707 659015; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 645105

RSGB - UK AMATEUR RADIO