LF: Re: Re: Transmitting tests on 137.790

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Transmitting tests on 137.790
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:03:41 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Peter:

A dashed transmission will be indistinguishable from the many Loran
sidebands near the frequency - many of which are also dashed. Why not send
your callsign QRSS for a positive identification.

I understand your commitment to Visual CW, I wish you well in it, but it is
not my commitment and not my interest.

The transmissions for the next few days are of a precise known dash duration
that will change each day.  The purpose is so that advanced DSP tools can
have a good look for the signal way way down in the mud.  The positive
identification is in the recognition of the consistent length (for the day)
of the dash.

If I have it right, 50% of the signals from North American activity on 136
kHz are sending Visual CW, that is surely enough for those with an interest
in Visual CW.  My choice is to move onwards, not to suggest that there is
anything wrong with Visual CW, but to move to new techniques and processes.
My LF goal is and remains to have the first two way QSO across the North
Atlantic.  After that is a one way LF from here to ZL/VK.

Repeating the Visual CW process on a going forward basis doing the same that
has been done is not an option I am prepared to support.  In my opinion the
probability of have a visual CW two way QSO from here in Eastern Ontario to
Europe this year is not likely.  I am also not prepared to put in the
"scope" hours to make such an achievement happen.  My sense is that the QSO
can be done with advanced  DSP, I am following that route almost exclusively
from now on.  I will support special events whole heartedly, but my focus is
DSP on LF as the way to achieve my goals.

I also operate HF CW on a regular basis.  My main operating interest is HF
CW and I am an active member of both the British FOC CW club as well as a
member of the more irreverent CFO, Chicken Fat Operators club on this side
of the Atlantic.

I hope this makes it clear what are my intentions and my direction.  My
intention with this message is to remove any potential  for angst by those
who do not share the same vision and direction that I have.  Regards

Larry
VA3LK