LF: More on last weekend

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: More on last weekend
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:38:06 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have calculated the locator of Larry, VA3LK, as either FN14TQ or FN14UQ, which makes the distance between him and Ko, NL9222, 5731 or 5726km. This is the current world one-way record. Congratulations to both stations.

I have submitted the following story to the RSGB newsdesk (my colleagues in the next office) for use on the weekly GB2RS news bulletin. Please let me know urgently if I have anything wrong.

Over the weekend of the 12th to the 14th of January, stations in Canada, the USA and Europe attempted the first two-way transatlantic contact on the 136kHz band. Although the two-way was not successful, the one-way distance record was broken in both directions. VE1ZZ received OK1FIG at distance of 5694km, and SWL NL9222 received VA3LK at a world record distance of 5726km. G0MRF, who was the first station to cross the Atlantic on 136kHz, put up his antenna on an apartment block on the Sunday, but was hampered by the high static levels and poor conditions that made that day's tests a washout at both ends. On the Saturday, several UK stations received good signals from Canada but MM0ALM was the only European, apart from OK1FIG, to make it in the opposite direction. Extremely slow Morse was used by all stations to enable signals to be decoded well below the noise level. VE1ZZ was occasionally audible in the UK but the strength was not sufficient to read normal speed Morse. The USA team, operating from North Carolina, heard a number of LF stations including VE1ZZ, but no Europeans.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net