LF: 9kHz DX with no power supply!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 9kHz DX with no power supply!
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:36:08 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
If you have Real Player, go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk and click on the link to Concrete Ears. It is fascinating.

Briefly this describes huge concrete acoustic dishes built in the 1920s, aimed at listening for enemy airplanes up to 25 miles away. An artist is building new dishes for Folkestone (G) and Boulogne (F). She claims that you will not only hear the sea but also be able to talk to the person who is using the other dish 50km away. Hard to believe that the QRM from the sea won't be a huge problem as this is not even line of sight. As my wife's mother lives in Folkestone, I will try it when it is built, and report back.

So, if you fancy breaking the 9kHz record without spending a penny on electricty, simply build an acoustic dish!

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net