Re: LF: 9kHz DX with no power supply!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 9kHz DX with no power supply!
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:06:34 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Mike, LF Group,

It seems to me that with the range for detecting aircraft quoted, you will need to shout very loudly indeed to be heard in Boulogne! I seem to recall a BBC program some years ago on this subject - I think QRM was one of the main reasons the scheme was abandoned. Also, if somebody in the neigborhood was, say, folding their newspaper, the unfortunate operator would have his eardrums ruptured.

Another problem was that, with sound being of the order of a million times slower than radio waves, the warning did not arrive that much faster than the planes themselves. Over a path of 50km, it would take about 5 minutes for the signal to go both ways - perhaps QRSS would be a better bet...

I once saw a smaller version of this, I think in the Science Museum in London. It had a couple of dishes set up on opposite sides of the hall. It was quite an uncanny effect when you were at the focus of one dish - it sounded as if the person at the other end was right beside you.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU