LF: G3AQC seen last night in Quebec

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: G3AQC seen last night in Quebec
From: "Bill de Carle" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:52:09 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 03:04 PM 1/24/01 +0000, Jim M0BNU wrote:
Dear LF group,

I transmitted beacon sigs last night from 2145 until 0630. The signal was roughly 110sec dashes and spaces, with a 400sec space (containing a 60s CW ID) every 5th dash. Thanks for the signal reports; I hope OH2LX has the frequencies swapped round, since my frequency should have been 135.924kHz +/- 0.1Hz at most, unless something went dreadfully wrong. I checked G3AQC as being about 1.6Hz down on me. Whose was the 3rd signal I saw in the early morning?

Aha!  That would put G3AQC on 135922.4 - exactly where one of the
lines showed up last night.  I measured him on 135922.44 early
in the session, then he faded out.  I have an image of this -
I'll post it on my web page later.  The other line which also
started out well but faded at about the same rate was on 135925.02
so I guess that wasn't you Jim.

Earlier, I found propagation conditions seemed unusual. I had QSO's with G6RO, DL3FDO, and EI0CF. Ron's signal seemed normal, but the others were subject to quite rapid (a few minutes) QSB, and both getting very strong at times. I wonder if anyone in North America observed sigs from DCF39 or similar? Would this be connected with solar events?

I saw a huge increase in signal strength from DCF39 between 1930
and 2030 last night.  I posted a message to this reflector about it
a few minutes ago.  There was a small GIF (less than 10K) attached
showing just how big the signal got for a short time.  That may
have been due to the flare, no?  If that was the case I'll have
to modify my suggested time for transmissions from Europe to here
to make it coincide with our local dusk.

Thanks for the accurate info on G3AQC's frequency.  That's as good
as a confirmation for me because I'm quite sure the line I saw was
on 135922.44 and there was nothing else around him.  Congratulations
Laurie!

Bill VE2IQ