Re: LF: Waterproof Loading Coil

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Waterproof Loading Coil
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:15:01
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 10:49 24/01/01 -0500, DK8KW wrote:
... I don't really understand why and how my own setup works ... a large
and snow, without any protection! I have to re-adjust my small variometer
in the shack (about 0.9 mH) if it is wet outside, but no problems with
flashovers or any other problems ... maybe it is worth a try ...

Same here, a 2.2mH coil hanging at 14m height and a 0.8mH coil on a plastic
box about 0.5m above ground. Both have no protection against wind, rain,
hail, snow etc ... and survive for about 3 years now (keep fingers crossed).
No problems with flashovers or tuning, thanks to the large loss resistance
(abt. 120 Ohm in winter, abt 140 Ohm in summer). one of the few advantages
of all the lossy green capacitors (brand : birch and oak) surrounding my
antenna.

73, Rik  ON7YD