Re: LF: Re: Re: Morse tones / filters etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: Morse tones / filters etc.
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:14:36 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In message <[email protected]>,
Clifford Buttschardt <[email protected]> writes >Interesting observation
on real time listening on LF.  When I was at sea >as a radio officer I
arranged two receivers one vertical and the other >horizontal using the
longwire 500 kHz antenna tuned to the same frequency >within one hertz. Then by using two headphones, each arranged so that >opposite ears listened to opposite polarizations, results were simply >amazing!

M.J.Powell wrote:
I did something vaguely similar with 6m SSB, but I switched by hand a
vertical and a horizontal antenna into the receiver. Fades were virtually
eliminated. Showing I think that there was a lot of polarisation rotation
on the incoming signals, but at LF?

This is a variation on the well-known technique of diversity reception - which is what the old AR88D receiver was for (D for diversity!) - used by commercial HF fixed stations for many years.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm