LF: Re: Re: Re: Best tone for aural copy

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Best tone for aural copy
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 15:17:03 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

1.  I have noticed that a weak station close or below noise is often much
easier to copy if one walks away from the receiver.

I heard my first eme signal by putting my earphones in a large crystal (cut
glass) dish and standing back about 5 feet or so.  This was a trick that was
taught to me by a chap who earned his living copying CW as "piece work" so
he had an incentive to listen for stations calling.

The most critical need was to keep moving around, physically, until you
found the "sweet spot" were you could hear the really really weak signal.  I
demonstrated this capability some years ago while working with water based
ground reflection gain on 2 Meter eme - a visitor told me the "sweet spot"
was probably were the two ears were copying best was were there was a phase
shift in the audio approaching 90 degrees thus giving what we now know is
the extra sensitivity of the I and Q channel reception condition.

Larry
VA3LK

PS, She who shall be obeyed did not take well to the cut glass bowl being
moved outside and set on a bench so I could do this, but you cant win all
the time..........