Re: LF: Re: Morse tones / filters etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Morse tones / filters etc.
From: "vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:36:28 +1200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Kevin Ravenhill wrote:

> a visitor told me the "sweet spot"
> was probably were the two ears were copying best was were there was a
phase
> shift in the audio approaching 90 degrees thus giving what we now know is
> the extra sensitivity of the I and Q channel reception condition.
>
> Larry
> VA3LK

I have also experienced noticeably easier copy of weak CW in noise when at a
distance from the headphones - in fact I find that turning up the AF gain a
bit and leaving the headphones on a table provides an effective method of
monitoring activity whilst doing other things. I must admit, though, that I
have not been aware of any definite "sweet spot" whilst moving around the
room.

Has anyone experimented with phase shifted / delayed audio, i.e. with "raw"
audio fed to one half of the headphones and a (variably) phase-shifted /
delayed version fed to the other half?

Kevin
G1HDQ

I was thinking on similar lines.  My suggestion is to electronically
simulate "walking around" by processing the audio to one of a pair of
"stereo" speakers.  It should be possible to sweep the phase shift of
the feed to the second speaker (or headphone earpiece) with an
electronically controlled all-pass network, and sweep at much higher
phase rates that are equivalent to "running around" the shack.  Sort of
a couch potato similation :)

Bob ZL2CA