Re: LF: DFCW Parameters

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DFCW Parameters
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:06:25 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In theory there is no need for these 'gaps', but a series of tests (mainly
conducted by DF8ZR, DF6NM and me) showed that these small 'gaps' had 2
advantages : 1. It eases the reading of characters with a series of dots
or dashes (eg. O, S, J, 5 etc...) 2. It gives the TX a 'break' (reduces
the 'on/off' ratio) during long characters

Ah, OK. I look forward to seeing this in practice. I must say that my first attempt at reading real DFCW - instead of typed on a WP - was much harder than I expected. I hope this improves things. Most stations seem to be taking advantage of the faster speed option (3s dots and dashes) but there is an advantage in having 9s dots and dashes so the speed is similar to QRSS but the S/N is better.

I haven't yet modified my station for DFCW - this is a job for the summer.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm