LF: RE: High stability drive sources

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: High stability drive sources
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:28:38 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

The ones available from the Microwave Component service were 35 - 40
deg units.   These were just about OK. for the normal 20 deg
temperature crystal although a bit close to the turnover as you say.
Taking uWave equipment out portable on a hot day meant sunlight on the
RF box could raise the temp above this, upsetting the stability.

Some heaters Sam, G4DDK, had were 50 - 60 deg units and need a
specially cut crystal, where the perfomance was then excellent.  Think
I have some of these decices, but haven't tried them yet as I haven't
any suitable high temp cut xtals in HC18U case.

Didn't know you were a Microwaver Alan !   I always maintained 73kHz
was a microwave band, where experimentation and homebrewing rather
than just operating was the norm.  137k just seems a DX chasing band
these days.

Andy G4JNT
You mentioned the Murata heater tabs earlier.....have you any idea
what
temperature these are supposed to stabilise at?? My data book doesn't
quote
this. I have seen problems where the crystal used was not specified
for a
turnover at the 'oven' temperature, leading to worse stability than
without
using the tab. (crystals for use in ovened enclosure are usually cut
at a
slightly different angle I believe) Used correctly they should give a
order
of magnitude improvement for the guys with outside shacks!
Particularly if
the 'tab' 12v supply can be left switched on. It is not a total cure
and for
best performance crystals still need to be protected from direct
draughts
even if only by a cornflake package.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]