LF: Has Anyone heard from GW3XDV/P? /Transatlantic frequencies

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Has Anyone heard from GW3XDV/P? /Transatlantic frequencies
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:05:30 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Has anybody heard/worked GW3XDV/P yet? I was QRV on 73kHz last night, although not until about 1900, but could hear and see very little due to the fantastically high level of QRN. I could see G3LDO's beacon signal for a while, but even that was overwhelmed eventually. 136kHz was extremely noisy too. Conditions were more normal around 0800 this morning, but I had no response to a few QRSS CQ calls. I will be QRV on 71.81kHz this evening again, and also Saturday morning, in the hope of working Mike before he returns.

I think G0MRF makes an important point about 'Transatlantic II' frequencies - operating with split frequencies would also help avoid the problem of RX audio/soundcards being overloaded by several very strong local stations whilst trying to listen for weak transatlantic signals.

I am having a rake through my box of crystals, to see if I can find any useful frequencies - what sorts of frequency are being used for VXO/Mixer type systems?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU