Re: LF: DCF39 heard in the US

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DCF39 heard in the US
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:23:18 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

DCF is an inland station, fairly far away from the ocean coast, with an unknown
(unknown to me, at least) antenna radiation launching angle.  The fact that it
can be heard throughout Europe (probably ground wave) does not necessarily mean
(to me) that it will cross the pond via multiple hops. We did hear France-Inter
(on 162) and Europe #1 as if they were local broadcast stations. France Inter
runs 2 MW, I understand. Has anyone yet established a comparison between those 2
MW with a 9 KHz bandwidth and  DCF's power with its bandwidth ?
73
Andre'

OK, but DCF has been heard strongly at 2000km, and arguably a station
with a good ground wave will produce a good low angle sky wave. I was
really saying that, since DCF39 is almost in-band and can be identified
in CW bandwidths it probably provides the best starting point for small
(miniscule) signal working at 136.

--
Mike, G3XDV
IO91VT