Re: LF: DCF39 heard in the US

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: DCF39 heard in the US
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:19:32 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dave Wilson, AC4IU, who lives near Fredericksburg, south of Washington DC,
reports to have seen DFC39, but rarely, and adds that he is not sure what
determines when he can hear that station of not. It should be noted that
Fredericksburg is well inland, far from the ocean.

Excellent. I feel that concentrating on this high ERP station will provide a useful pattern. Once fixed stations can receive it with some reliability (or at least predictability), preferably by ear, then there is a good chance that a coastal portable expedition can detect amateurs. It also gives something to work with, that is to measure improvements in propagation and receiver/antenna performance. When you hear nothing, you can't tell if you need another 3dB or 300!

The reason DCF39 was not mentioned in the Nags Head reports is that,
sadly, we did not look for it. Our mistake, but we were concentrating on
the narrow band between 137.600 and 137.900 where the 4 British amateur
stations were located. 73 Andre' N4ICK

Quite understood. Portable expeditions are by no means trivial and you have to set your agenda in advance and concentrate on that. If you had detected the amateur signals, that would have been marvelous, but it looks like you need to set your sights a little lower in order to determine just how far you are from succeeding. The bad news is that conditions were exceptionally good that weekend as CFH was strong well into daylight in the UK.

I am quite sure, however, that you learned useful lessons for next time. With my LF portable expeditions to GW, I have got better and better because each time I came away with a long list of things I knew I had done wrong - it's true about learning from your mistakes. An expedition only fails if you can't think of anything you would do better next time.

It's pretty frustrating for us in Europe as we feel we would like to just pop over with our own gear and hear for ourselves what the band is like, as we might with a listening station a few hundred km away. Perhaps you can put a few .WAV files onto the AMRAD website after your next expedition so that we can hear and also analyse the receiver output. It might help us to help you.

Anyway, your efforts are very much appreciated and we all look forward to the day when the US (and Canada) has an LF allocation in the licence. Then we can be the ones desperately looking in vain at the noise on a DSP screen!

73

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm