LF: CFH

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: CFH
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:44:27 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Following the reports from Alan I can confirm CFH in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was
on this morning on 137.0 RTTY.  I did not hear it last night when I checked
before going to bed, but I see Alan was up a little later than me!  It is
definitely CFH and not from Europe.

The signal is exactly the same as last winter.  At 0700 it was 10dB over s9 and
stayed like that till 0800.  It then started to fade a little, and between 0845
and 0900 went from s9 down to the noise and disappeared.

Perhaps Jon can confirm that it was switched on yesterday.  The enormous
signals (no increase on last year) are, as I have said before, not necessarily
a good sign that an amateur QSO to the USA is possible.  CFH uses high power to
an antenna few amateurs could contemplate, with an efficiency believed to be up
to 80%.

Because CFH was on, my QSO this morning with Steve GW4ALG was on 136.2.
Activity in the early morning (0600-0800) still seems very low, and I would
have thought there would have been more activity at this time during the
festive season, but alas no.  Both myself and Steve would like to encourage
more activity at this time, usually before the tellies get turned on.

Cheers Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sergeantd