LF: Latest report 137.0kHz signal

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Latest report 137.0kHz signal
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:18:23 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, I was unable to log s-meter readings of the 137kHz signal overnight
but I have a trace from a long term log using FFTDSP4. The signal seems
fairly steady and consistent up to about 0800z this morning. There is a
noticable reduction in strength at 0835z, and by 0853z its noise sidebands
had ceased to swamp a 100nV calibration signal injected at 136.780kHz. The
signal faded completely at 0858z to return weakly at 0902z. It faded out
again at 0924 and returned weakly at 0936z it then peaked weakly at about
1011z, was detectable at 1044 and had disappeared by 1058z.
For comparison, using Geoclock the end of the dark night and the onset of
morning twilight is shown as 0720z, and the main dawn at about 0800z.
This kind of profile tends to suggest that the signal is indeed arriving
from the west and may well be a fax transmission from CFH in Halifax, Nova
Scotia. The increased perceived strength possible being a sum of rx aerial
improvements at this end since the middle of the year and a new transmitter
installation at CFH.
What would be nice now would be to have the promised new software from ON5OO
!!

Just read this mornings posting before dispatching this....thanks for the
confirmation  Dave and
Bob. Thanks for the comparison on strengths Dave....I have obviously
improved my set-up. At least we may be able to monitor propagation
conditions for a while. I suspect from what Jon has said it may only be
being used whilst the more normal Fax transmitter is out of action.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK  JO02PB
[email protected]