LF: Weekend report

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Weekend report
From: "kate moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:24:27 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Stations worked here during the weekend on 136kHz using normal speed CW:

Saturday 6/11
GW4ALG (16.39:UT gave him 599, he gave me 599).

Sunday 7/11
DK8KW (08.40: 569, 569), PA0SE (09.05: 579, 579), G6RO (09.23: 57/89, 599),
G3YXM (09.40: 59+9, 59+9), HB9ASB (10.09: 579, 579), OH1TN (10.29: 569,
539 peaking 559), G3XTZ (17.47: 599, 599).

I've been QRT for a while as we were away in Cyprus letting the sunshine
warm us up instead of the RF! We met up with a small number of 5B amateurs
and I did a short spell of HF operating out there, but didn't manage to find
a station which could receive 136kHz, nor get much enthusiasm for LF from
those I spoke to. Pity, as Cyprus would be a very interesting distance to
achieve as we all ponder crossing the Atlantic.........

When we got back, the (cold!) foul weather discouraged me from re-rigging
the
antenna until Saturday afternoon, so all I worked until Sunday was Steve,
who kindly gave me a report to confirm all was well.

I got up around 08.00UT Sunday morning; initial calls raised nothing
although I noticed the 'sprog' from the German data signal on 135.36kHz was
much stronger than usual, giving a very healthy reading on the S-meter.
After
a quick breakfast, another call raised Geri, who was an excellent signal and
gave me an equally good report in return - our best QSO so far. (How about
swapping QSLs for that one, Geri?) Whilst this suggested conditions were
enhanced, the following contact with Dick was quite normal, as were the
'local' ones with Ron and Dave. After taking a short break, I returned to
find Steve working Toni, who was a monster signal - by far the strongest I
have ever heard him during the day, and stronger than many G stations!
When Steve had finished I also worked Toni, swapping excellent reports, and
then Dave 'YXM worked him, although signals were dropping off a little by
then.

Encouraged by this, I moved back up the band and started calling CQ. The
second call raised Reino, who was also a good signal, despite it being mid
morning and broad daylight. My initial report from him was 539, but after
my second over he said I had peaked 559. A little later I monitored Dave
working Fred DJ5DI and Nico PA2NJN (both slightly weaker than I usually hear
them) and then working Reino who had also dropped an S-point here.

LF conditions were obviously quite disturbed, but checking the solar data on
the local Cluster provided no particular clues as to why. Anyone else have
any observations or ideas?

        Regards  John G4GVC near Leicester, IO92JP

   **  TX: Synth + 400W RF from modified 'G3YXM' Mosfet PA           **
   **  RX: TS-850S with 3 x CW filters and 0.5ppm TCXO               **
   **  Ant: Inv-L 60m long, 6m high at feed end, 12m high at far end **