Re: LF: re: 500khz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re: 500khz
From: "Hans-Joachim Brandt" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:06:23 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Finbar,

thank You for your comment. I think the high powers of WCC and WSL were the result of the competition of the two different telegraph companies in the New York area, a situation we had not to deal with here in Europe.

I have also looked up in my list the powers listed for DAN and DAO where I have been in training in 1955/56 but I think the powers of the transmitters were higher than listed by the ITU. When I do remember right DAN had about 5 kW and DAO 1-2 kW.

I also remember that the technicians servicing the pre-war-transmitters had problems getting permission for new tubes (in the fifties, many former navy transmitters were still be used at german coastal radio stations). They had to burn the filaments of old tubes to receive the acknowledgement that they could not be used any longer. However, this way did not work any more after the new tube technology with low voltage filaments and high currents had been introduced! But these times have gone now - - - After two years in training for coastal stations and two years at sea, I moved to Munich into the radio industry to become a design engineer, first with Rohde&Schwarz for UHF TV transmitters, then with SIEMENS designing HF equipment. But our division had been sold about the same time when coastal radio had been abolished. SIEMENS does not produce any HF equipment any more. The last years of my career I worked with SIEMENS in Brunswick, designing equipment for railways for communication between rails and trains, in the range 75 Hz to 36 kHz!

Most of my coastal radio colleagues have left this servide rather early and had been employed in other services of Deutsche Bundespost, but others had been in service up to the end and were much struck how things developed in coastal radio. Now we should be eager to see what future use will be made with this frequency range. If a few kHz could be taken apart for amateur radio - I would appreciate it. The technical conditions for those small estates which radio amateurs can use would be much more favourable than for LF (on the other side I also know that some G stns still love 73 kHz).

73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB
73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB

Finbar O'Connor schrieb:
Hi  Hans-Joachim,
                           I do not disagree with your power level for WCC
and WSL,  I  was just  commenting on the sheer power level used by these
stations, compared to the ususal  1 kw  transmitters used at coast radio
stations. The 1996  Admiralty List of Radio Signals  Volume 1,  notes the
high power used by WCC and WSL.  Many a time our own 1 kw transmitters had
sunk to 500 watts, before  a new pair of output valves were fitted, but we
still managed to cover  well out into the Atlantic by day and night.
Very best regards
Finbar   EI0CF    EJM