LF: 73kHz - bad news

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz - bad news
From: "Prof R. Jennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:31:27 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike et al,
Thank you for the possible explanation of the 73 kHz blackout.  I wonder if
Rugby may have started to use spread spectrum in parallel with its normal
system. Unfortunately I cannot be on the air tomorrow (Thursday morning). Before receiving my email today, and on the assumption that I still had an unknown fault in my system, I tried to adust part of the loop antenna that was having a tete a tete with the foliage of a tree. I had lowered it so
that it was about 18 feet above the ground, I then climbed the ladder to
adjust the situation when suddenly the ladder slipped and I travelled in a
beautiful arc, landing on my shoulder, then my head and finally the rest of
me!  No real damage - just a bit of a headache, stiffness and aching but I
got a severe ticking off from my wife - "your nearly 77 and you think you
are still a schoolboy" - or words to that effect.  Anyway she would not let
me go out again to finish the job so I'll have to sneak out tomorrow but
will not be able to do any tests before about 11 a.m.
       From what you say about Rugby , Mike, it seems that all the
overhauling that I've been doing on my rig for the past few months may have
been a fool's errand.  Your report on the very high background noise level
makes much more sense but was completely unexpected. I will try to ensure that my system is on top form for the H.F.
Convention on Sunday morning but, after the experience of the last few
months, and especially the last few days, I do not anticipate much luck.
73,
Roger,  G2AJV.