LF: 73kHz - bad news

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz - bad news
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:12:58 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Peter, G3LDO, and I transmitted beacons on 71.70kHz this morning in an attempt to check whether our abortive tests of yesterday were connected with the noise coming from Rugby. This frequency is as far away as it is possible to get without getting QRM from the Decca beacins.

I was able to hear Peter on my Marconi , but in the noise. Using my 1m loop antenna, carefully positioned, I could bring him up to 549. Interestingly, even that far away in frequency from the Rugby transmission I could bring up the noise by a significant amount by rotating the loop. The conclusion is that the Rugby RTTY transmission now has significant white noise sidebands, extending up the band edges (perhaps beyond). This ties in with reports I have had from others. The noise is over 3kHz wide, even with the signal nulled to about S9.

Any useful work on the band will need the transmitter to be off for maintenance. It is possible to have QSOs if you use the lowest frequency you can without getting QRM from the Decca beacons - I think 71.7 is about optimum - and use a directional antenna to null out the Rugby signal.

I have posted on my web site a page showing spectrograms of Peter's normal speed CW, and a comparison between the noise levels at 71.7 and 72.1kHz (it's no wonder I didn't hear Peter yesterday on 72.1). Note that these pictures are with the loop antenna nulling out Rugby - so there is no question of Rx overload.

Peter will be listening for me tomorrow morning when I will be beaconing between 0700 and 0745UTC.

Thanks to Alan G3NYK, Roger G2AJV and others for taking the trouble to listen. (Roger, I will be listening between beacon transmissions so give me a call if you hear me).

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm