Re: LF: RE: Carrier transmission at 80 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Carrier transmission at 80 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:12:30 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1542982353; bh=oEy5j1hl43q5aLZ8Hgz33yfssY7pvU3guEinNXA47ps=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=m6+Ub3wxNmEup/yczZzrwgike7NZO4FFWJ1+NWme2h6DgLJrNp1ikg+8hiIXKyq5h x1HliyzUuHAWyPDvxUaxYFAWE4CEgKoc4gw8L7VTHemQeYMJO5//TONZNPR+vx/62e aBLPr6D+WsA5oJ3ASJaCxC1EH2mXX2iO7vjoDqDdehdQNcmEGxRxA0wCXPF6u0FsZi vUlzLlWTeyDGNYKIL4hDBz+5zy3HrcJy9dc2p4eBMsv17qOMEwR5lVfFlVP352UYiG XuQEiQZ8JMhadsDz7ydqhZSEc39KIm7rdDCypDofNWLIAqB5YPYidaxoWNWCpUhsij sPvRyE37awVkw==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Luis,

Well, some PA designs using ferrite input transformers will have problems at that frequency. But i built that H bridge for the guide rail antenna experiments in a way that it can work down to ELF, i.e. < 30 Hz. It simply uses IR2110 half bridge drivers. I'm also using this PA in this experiment. So the output voltage is a rectangle. The transformer would handle a rectangle but quite a high input voltage is needed. However, if you use a capacitor in series to the primary winding you series-resonate the complete RLC network where the antenna is one part. This is what i have done. With the 470 pF on the output of the transformer i need about 20 uF for that. Then the output voltage is a very well looking sine wave. And, just 8 V DC (and abt 1.2 A) is needed for the bridge supply voltage to reach 5 kV rms at the output.

Oh BTW regarding crazy, last night was very cold (< 0 C), clear, the moon was fully shining. I took the scope on the top of the building. With a 1:1000 HV probe i measured the voltage directly across the antenna. It is all a great fun and moments to think back in some time.
Let me attach another small png file showing the voltage across the wire :-)

These oil ignition transformers are very fine and become rare! I had 3 of them but meanwhile they are all damaged :-( Tom DK1IS seems to operate with them at the moment but he will report later i think.
However these types of transformers are designed to be run just for a minute or so, then you have to let them cool down. I don't think they will handle the high voltage 24/7, even if nearly no output power is token.
Just measure the input current during normal operation (with a continous arc on the secondary side) and then without an arc. I would assume that the difference is only a factor 2 or so and the cos phi will be quite resistive, i.e. it will heat up after less than a hour i guess. But maybe i'm wrong.
You have that remote RX location in 7 km, right? That may be ideal for such experiments.

73, Stefan